Wednesday, May 14, 2014

5+ Tips for Writing Your Own Wedding Vows

-->
Hi! It's me again, Kati, and I'm excited to share with you 5+ tips for writing your own wedding vows! My husband and I decided to write our own vows and I have to say it was one of my favorite parts of planning our wedding.  Here are some helpful tips if you decide to write your own.

  1.  Make a Commitment
    • Make sure that you and your partner are equally committed to writing your own vows. This should be a special part of your wedding and you don’t want to force the decision or put too much pressure on your partner.  Once you both have agreed, then you will need to decide if you want to write them together or if they are going to be a surprise.
  2.  Make a List
    • To get started, I suggest you make a list of all the traits that you love about your partner. Then reflect on special moments you’ve shared together, times that your partner has really been there for you, and important milestones in your relationship. Jot down as many things as you can think of and sort through them along the way.
  3. Decide on a Tone
    • Do you want to be romantic, funny, religious?  Don’t be afraid to have fun with it! You can mention a silly story or quirk about your partner.  For example, in my vows I promised to let my husband play his video games and to always cheer for the Cowboys.  Also, feel free to be creative. You could even write your vows as a poem or a song.  Just make sure to take your audience in consideration and don’t mention anything that you wouldn’t want Grandma to hear! 
  4. Decide on a Structure 
    • Some examples would be to start each sentence with “I promise” or “I pledge” or to mention something from the past, present, and future.  For the length, short and sweet is usually best.  Make sure to discuss the length with your partner so that you are both on the same page.  You can set a time or word limit to help. 
  5.   Decide if You Will Memorize
    • Lastly, you will need to decide if you are going to memorize your vows or read them aloud from a sheet of paper.  Keep in mind you will most likely be nervous and emotional during your ceremony.  Even if you feel completely confident memorizing your vows, I suggest carrying a copy with you or with one of your bridesmaids. 
       
OTHER TIPS:
If you are having writers block or need some more inspiration, I highly recommend utilizing Google for some examples of other peoples wedding vows.  You can always edit or add to an example to make it your own.  Don’t be nervous if you’re not the best writer, all that matters is that it comes from the heart! 

Once you are finished, I recommend having a few others read over your vows for you. It could be your Mom, Sister, future Mother in-law, officiate, or anyone close to you. Whoever you choose will probably have some helpful insight and thoughts to contribute. 
Lastly, I highly recommend having some tissues readily available just in case! Don’t forget: practice makes perfect, so go over your vows as many times as necessary until you feel comfortable.  I hope these tips were helpful and wish you the best of luck!   























Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...